As difficult as it has been to share our family’s personal journey throughout this book, there are a number of reasons that we have chosen to go down this path. We have been fortunate enough to come out of this whole ordeal with a bright, funny and inquisitive boy we still have in our lives, who has taught us the true meaning of life.
Our main reasons for sharing our story are…
• To raise awareness of retinoblastoma and educate parents on the warning signs to look for
• To let parents and loved ones know that there is light at the end of the tunnel
• To show that you can bounce back and break through from the depths of despair to live a joyous and fulfilling life
• To know how to overcome adversity when faced with a life changing event
• To help children cope with grief and loss and move on
• To understand how the power of positive thinking can help you heal following a traumatic event
• To recognise the signs of anxiety and depression and work through it with the right advice and help (and to know where to find it)
• To raise much needed funds and awareness for charities like the Starlight Children’s Foundation and other amazing organisations
• To learn how to come to terms with your child having a disability and what that means for their future
• To offer a sense of hope and inspiration to people going through tough times in their lives
Most of our lessons in life have come through struggles, difficult times, adversity and challenges. It helps you put things into perspective and work out what’s really important, and be grateful for everything that you have in your life.
“We cannot choose our external circumstances,
but we can always choose how we respond to them.”
If you’d like to connect with us, feel free to like our Facebook page Life Through Sam’s Eyes.